Question about install from ports

Daniel Bye freebsd-questions at slightlystrange.org
Mon Jul 23 14:26:07 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 03:45:35AM -0700, Mr U wrote:
> hi all
>
> I want to install openbox from ports collection.
> freebsd attempting to download libxml2 from fr.rpmfind.net but
> I don't know why connection speed slow down after a while and finally
> failed.
>
> is it possible to change download location (mirror) or is it possible to download file manually
> and add file in openbox dir?

If you can find the file on a faster site, you can download it and put it in
 /usr/ports/distfiles/rpm/i386/fedora/10/ and restart the OpenBox build, or
 you can put these two settings in /etc/make.conf:

MASTER_SITE_BACKUP?=    \
        ftp://ftp.uk.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/${DIST_SUBDIR}/

MASTER_SITE_OVERRIDE?=  ${MASTER_SITE_BACKUP}

Change the "uk" to point to a site near to your geographical location. With
these lines, your ports system will first look for distfiles on the FreeBSD
mirror site, and will only go to the MASTER_SITE in a port's Makefile if the
FreeBSD site doesn't have the required file.  This is sometimes faster than
going to the MASTER_SITE first.

Or, as RW suggested, try setting RANDOMIZE_MASTER_SITES.

Dan

--
Daniel Bye
                                                                     _