How to get Huawei EC1561 USB modem working under FreeBSD 8.2 ?

Manish Jain bourne.identity at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 23 09:44:54 UTC 2012

On 21-Jul-12 19:06, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> El día Saturday, July 21, 2012 a las 06:01:11PM +0530, Manish Jain escribió:
>
>> Hello Erich/Matthias,
>>
>> Thanks for your responses.
>>
>> I do not have the usbdump command on my system. usbconfig gives the
>> following output :
>> ugen0.2:<Back-UPS ES 650Y-IN FW:853.m4.I USB FW:m4 American Power
>> Conversion>  at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=LOW (1.5Mbps) pwr=ON
>> ugen1.2:<HUAWEI Mobile HUAWEI TECHNOLOGIES>  at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST
>> spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON
>> ugen2.2:<USB2.0 Hub vendor 0x05e3>  at usbus2, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH
>> (480Mbps) pwr=SAVE
>>

>> PFA ppp.log. As you will find, it repeatedly complains of /dev/cuaU0.0
>> being an invalid file. But the output of 'ls -l' shows the contrary :

>> crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer      0, 143 Jul 21 17:38 cuaU0.0
>> crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer      0, 144 Jul 21 17:38 cuaU0.0.init
>> crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer      0, 145 Jul 21 17:38 cuaU0.0.lock
>> crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer      0, 149 Jul 21 17:38 cuaU0.1
>> crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer      0, 150 Jul 21 17:38 cuaU0.1.init
>> crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer      0, 151 Jul 21 17:38 cuaU0.1.lock
>> crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer      0, 155 Jul 21 17:38 cuaU0.2
>> crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer      0, 156 Jul 21 17:38 cuaU0.2.init
>> crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer      0, 157 Jul 21 17:38 cuaU0.2.lock
>> crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer      0,  44 Jul 21 17:38 cuau0
>> crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer      0,  45 Jul 21 17:38 cuau0.init
>> crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer      0,  46 Jul 21 17:38 cuau0.lock
>>

>> Thanks for any tips/help. Which port do I need to install to get usbdump ?
> First of all, do not top-post.
>
> 'usbdump' is part of the system, but only from beginning at some
> version;
>
> Are you sure that /dev/cuaU0.0 belongs to the modem? Please, detach it,
> look with 'ls -l /dev/cuaU*' if it went away, attach it again.
> Please show the messages from /var/log/messages on attach.
>
> If the /dev/cuaU0.0 device really belongs to the modem, install 'kermit'
> from the ports, create a file ~/.kermrc with
>
> set line          /dev/cuaU0.0
> set speed         9600
> set escape        21
> set carrier-watch off
> set rec           pack 1000
> set send          pack 1000
> set window        5
> set prompt FreeBSD Kermit>
>
> and check it you can talk to the modem with kermit; the command ATI2
> should say something about the modem device.
>
> One should be first able to talk to the modem with a terminal (like
> kermit), then bring chat(1) to work and after this watch ppp log, in
> that order.
>
> HIH
>
> 	matthias

Hi,

I am still stuck because I can't know the syntax to run usbdump. usbdump
says use the id's provided by lsusb but I forgot to install
sysutils/usbutils while I still had the EC1261 Huawei stick.

Can someone please send me the sources for this port (sysutils/usbutils)
? I will need the complete sources for PORTVERSION 0.86 as a gzipped tar
(please remove freebsd-questions at freebsd.org from addresses if sending),
as I cannot currently connect my FreeBSD box to the internet.

BTW, cuaU0[.*] are always there on my system, whether my EC1561 stick is
plugged in or not. So I am surely using the wrong device as the modem.
The following lines are there in my devfs.conf :

link ugen0.2 usv
own usv root:operator
perm usv 666

link cuaU0.0 modem