help about free bsp version netcat to work it on ubuntu

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Jul 22 16:25:48 UTC 2012

On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 22:41:57 +0800, lei yang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to build a "netcat" on my local pc (ubuntu) with gcc, is it
> possible? I'm new to free bsd

I hope I don't misunderstand your intention: You are trying to
build a Linux executable of netcat from FreeBSD's sources?

You _do_ know that FreeBSD and Linux (here: Ubuntu) are two
totally different operating systems. I'm not sure code is
compatible at this level (but it maybe _could_ be, you'd
have to try it).

The netcat program (nc) is part of the FreeBSD operating
system for some time now. There's also a port of netcat
in /usr/ports/net/netcat (which can also be used). That
port's Makefile lists some sources:

ftp://coast.cs.purdue.edu/pub/tools/unix/netutils/netcat/

ftp://ftp.cuhk.edu.hk/pub/packages/security/purdue/netutils/netcat/

http://www.planetmirror.com/pub/lprng/TOOLS/

You could try to use that source distribution as well.

> I have to quesion:
> 1)where to download it's source it for "netcat"

They can be found in /usr/src/contrib/netcat/ once you have
extracted the source distribution of FreeBSD. Depending on
which version of the OS (branch, revision, platform) you
need, you have to select the corresponding archive from
one of the download mirrors.

Visit http://www.freebsd.org/ to find out where and how
to obtain FreeBSD (or components of it). I would suggest
using one of the FTP servers that are accessible for you
at a good speed.

> 2)how to build it on ubuntu with gcc? only make?

I'm not even sure Linux will be able to compile FreeBSD
sources. A "typical Linux build" would consist of the
three commands

	# ./configure
	# make
	# make install

but FreeBSD's OS sources don't need the 1st step. The
Makefiles distributed also do use "BSD make", not "GNU make"
(often refered to as gmake on non-Linux systems).

If this isn't the answer to your question, feel free to be
more specific.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany