enable modeline in vim

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Tue Jul 17 03:03:43 UTC 2012

Patrick wrote:

> > > In my vimrc i have next:
> > > set modeline
> > > set modelines=3
> > >

> > As I said, in /root/.vimrc I have:
> >
> > set modeline
> > set modelines=5
> >
> > > And it works, no matter from root or normal user. Hope this helps.
> >
> > And it does not work for root. vim-7.3.556_1
> >
> > Surely I am doing something stupid but I cannot figure out what.

> Assuming you've installed vim from the ports tree,
> /usr/local/share/vim/vimrc is the shared vimrc file amongst all
> users. Have you tried setting it in there?

I have finally found the cause of the trouble. There was a
"set nocompatible" command in ~/.vimrc after the "set modeline"
command. According to the documentation, the "compatible" option
modifies many other options, including the "modeline" options.

The solution is to put the "set nocompatible" command at the very
start of the ~/.vimrc file (as the documentation recommends) or to
remove it altogether.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
sip:sudakov at sibptus.tomsk.ru