power failure, boot, and fsck

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Jul 9 07:15:12 UTC 2012

On 09/07/2012 04:22, Patrick Donnelly wrote:
> UFS: /dev/ad10s3f (/usr)
> Automatic file system check failed, help!
> error aborting boo (sending sigtem to parent)!
> init: /bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormally, going to single user mode.
> enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
>
> In single-user mode I just `fsck /dev/da0s1a` and reboot. That fixes
> the problem. However, I would like this to be automatic on boot. It
> would be annoying if I'm out-of-town and the server cannot recover
> without my help. Any tips?

fsck does run automatically when a filesystem does not get shut down
cleanly.  However, fsck cannot fix all of the problems a filesystem can
experience without risk of loss of data.  In those cases, there is no
option but to stop and ask the operator to intervene.

Your best bet is to avoid an unclean shutdown entirely.  Buy a UPS.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3