anoncvs password

perryh at pluto.rain.com perryh at pluto.rain.com
Sun Jul 8 03:01:18 UTC 2012

What is one supposed to enter when anoncvs prompts for a password?

I have tried:

* my email address, as I would use for anon FTP
* "ftp", as was once conventionally used for anon FTP
* "cvs" (same idea, but mentioning the transport in use)
* nothing -- just hit return

None of these works.  I get

Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactive).
cvs [checkout aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/anoncvs.html seems to say
that anoncvs either should not require a password (Example A-2),
or it should accept any password at all (the other examples).