Unable to upgrade packages on FreeBSD

Greg Groth ggroth at gregs-garage.com
Tue Jan 31 02:37:24 UTC 2012

On 1/30/2012 6:13 PM, freebsd-lists-erik at erikosterholm.org wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 03:28:28PM -0700, Chad Perrin wrote:
>> You talk a lot about how easy it is to maintain a binary package system.
>> I would like you to convince me that it is easy, keeping in mind that it
>> should remain compatible with the ports system.  I am willing to be
>> convinced.
>>
>> --
>> Chad Perrin [ original content licensed OWL: http://owl.apotheon.org ]
>
> Oh come on, guys. David is the same person who said that FreeBSD was
> poorly documented.
>
> http://osdir.com/ml/freebsd-questions/2011-12/msg00684.html
>
> I really hate throwing around the 'T' word, but I'm starting to
> wonder.  I'll give him the benefit of the doubt a bit longer.
>
> David, it's increasingly clear that FreeBSD is not going to fit your
> needs. If, for some reason, you are interested in the FreeBSD kernel,
> but binary packages, consider GNU/kFreeBSD.

I'm finding this conversation very amusing.  After playing with I don't
know how many Linux distributions since the mid-90's, and running into
the same problem of things breaking after updating binary packages, I
moved to FreeBSD around 5.0 for my web server.  Since that time, I've
forced to do one reinstall due to a hardware failure, somewhere around
7.0.  I am now running 8.2.  After going through I can't remember how
many upgrades and updates, I've only had a couple of minor issues over
the years (most were resolved after reading Updating after the fact ;-)
).  I'll give up the time savings of binary packages vs. the
dependability of compiling stuff myself any day.

Greg Groth