RIP routing protocol implementation is FreeBSD?

Kaya Saman kayasaman at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 00:34:59 UTC 2012

<snip>
> I'd try routed_enable = "YES" instead.
>
> Regards
>
> Éric Masson

I have now setup a virtual instance of FreeBSD and another machine
running Bind9 on OpenBSD.

I can tell that the system is receiving RIP updates as netstat -r shows
the routes advertised by my router however, it seems that RIP isn't
being advertised by FreeBSD.....

My /etc/rc.conf file looks as such:

router_enable="YES"
router_flags="-P ripv2 ripv2_out"

 From the manual I wasn't quite sure if I needed to put the above
'router_flags' syntax or if:

ripv2
ripv2_out

should be put in the /etc/gateways file.

I tried Google'ing around but found almost no information on how to use
the service.

However, on bootup the system claims: "switch to trace file ripv2_out".

Running: sh ip route in the IOS only shows the C (connected routers) or
S* (the gateway of last resort) but no dynamic RIP updates R.

Ok got something wrong here???

Can anyone assist.....

Regards,

Kaya