make release custom kernel conf not found

Rick Miller vmiller at hostileadmin.com
Sun Jan 29 17:03:31 UTC 2012

Hi All,

I am performing a `make release` to build a new release with a custom
kernel.  The `make release` fails with the following error:

cd /usr/src/release/..;  make TARGET_ARCH=amd64 TARGET=amd64
KERNCONF=MYKERNEL kernel  DESTDIR=/R/stage/kernels KODIR=/MYKERNEL
ERROR: Missing kernel configuration file(s) (MYKERNEL).
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/release.
+ umount /dev
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/release.

I have the kernel config at /root/kernels/MYKERNEL and
/usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/MYKERNEL is a symlink to the kernel config.
The applicable environment variables are set in my .profile as
follows:

BUILDNAME=8.2-RELEASE-MYKERNEL-1.1
CHROOTDIR=/app/release
CVSROOT=/home/cvs
EXTPORTSDIR=/usr/ports
EXTSRCDIR=/usr/src
KERNELS="GENERIC MYKERNEL"
MAKE_DVD=YES
NODOC=YES
NO_FLOPPIES=YES

I am unsure how to get `make release` to realize the location of the
kernel config.  Also, I notice that in the command to make the kernel,
DESTDIR is set to /R/stage/kernels while the CHROOTDIR (and the
location where I want the release to be built) is /app/release.

I am wondering if someone knows how I may resolve the issue so I can
get the release built.  I appreciate any advice and feedback.  Thanks.

--
Take care
Rick Miller