When I put up any version of FBSD I usually try to install Maxima ...

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Sun Jan 29 02:23:38 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 08:07:51PM -0600, Robert Bonomi wrote:

> Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 08:09:34PM +0100, Michel Talon wrote:
> >
> > > occur, a port maintainer should only include the *strict minimum*
> > > dependencies necessary to make the port work, it is not his job to include
> > > the whole kitchen sink of dependencies that could be useful in some cases.
> >
> > So you would advocate to set all options to off be default? Why not submit a
> > PR to that effect?
>
> _I_ would suggest that it might make good sense to have as many as _three_
> choices of binary installations for ports with 'lots' (FSVO 'lots' :) of
> dependencies -- a 'bare minimums' working version, a 'typical' version, and
> an 'including the kitchen sink' version.

It would also hugely increase the complexity of the packages system. Imagine that
a "bare minimum" version of package X requires the 'kitchen sink' version of
package Y? Unless you can enforce that "bare minimum" versions should only
require other "bare minimum" versions, this will get ugly fast.

Roland