Dual Booting Linux with FreeBSD 9.0 - Grub in MBR

Bas Smeelen b.smeelen at ose.nl
Sat Jan 28 08:54:26 UTC 2012

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 21:32:10 +0000
Kaya Saman <kayasaman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> am just wondering if anyone has successfully managed to boot FreeBSD
> 9.0 and Linux.
>
> I run Fedora 16 x64 with Grub installed in my MBR.
>
> FBSD9 installed as the new disk scheme GPT..... I think (I manually
> partitioned as my disk is quite crowded).
>
> Anyway I found this:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2011-October/234858.html
>
> and at the moment I have this in my Grub config:
>
> menuentry 'FreeBSD 9.0'  {
>      set root=(ada0,1,a)
>      kfreebsd /boot/loader
>      boot
> }
>
> But unfortunately no boot :-(
>

> I have tried using (hd0,0), (hd0,1,a), (hd0,0,a), and (hd0,a) but
> unfortunately nothing is working.
>

> The Grub version is 2.
>

> Can anyone help me?

Hi

I have the following partition layout
P1 linux swap
P2 FreeBSD
P3 linux
P4 extended which holds 2 more linux partitions

FreeBSD 9 installed on P2 and the FreeBSD bootloader on P2

In /etc/grub.d/40_custom I have put the following:

menuentry "FreeBSD" {
             set root=(hd0,2)
             chainloader +1
     }

Then run update-grub as root.

The (hd0,2) entry means first harddisk (this laptop only has one) and
the second partition, which holds the FreeBSD bootloader that gets
loaded with the enry chainloader +1.

This works for me. Hope it helps.

I think with the way you have the setup now, a module must be loaded
first in the grub config. Insmod ufs or similair.

Disclaimer: http://www.ose.nl/email