USB 3.0 with FreeBSD 8.1

Henry Olyer henry.olyer at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 04:28:47 UTC 2012

When I look, I see a file /dev/da0,

but I can't do anything with it.  I've tried mount's and newfs and Fdisk,
nothing works.  Yes, their is an entry in the /dev directory, but no it
doesn't do me a lot of good.

Now, I am willing to do USB 2.0 transfers.  I'm willing to lose the 3.0
support.  I got this drive so I could back my machine up, but so far it's
doing a perfectly fine imitation of a boat anchor.

If I have to, I'll put up 9.x on another machine and simply do the
transfers across a TCP/IP wire.  A little slower but a day or so isn't
critical.

Now my questions:

a)  Am I supposed to be able to get USB 2.0 support by simply using a
conventional cable?  Because so far I'm getting nothing.

b)  Does 9.0 have USB 3.0 support.

The device I am trying to use is a WD "My Essential Drive."