FreeBSD 9.0 ICH8M trouble, no HDD found, unable to install.

Michael Powell nightrecon at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 26 10:52:39 UTC 2012

Jasper Valentijn wrote:

> L.S.,
>
> I'm not able to install FreeBSD on a Sony Vaio vgn-cr31s. The problem
> seems to be related to PR kern/153440,
> <http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=153440&cat=>.
>
> The "FreeBSD-9.0-RELEASE-i386-memstick.img" was used to try the
> install and extraction of the information below, verbose dmesg output
> and pciconf output.
>
> Does anybody have a workaround for this problem?
>
> If I could/should provide more information, just ask.

I do not have this hardware, so these are just a couple of wild guessses
from the blue on my part.  I am also looking only at 64 bit platforms here,
so if there is any signifigant difference with 32 bit I can't look/see.

First, you might try using the "2" option on the boot menu and then 'load
acpi_sony' followed by 'boot'. If this works, then you are indeed fortunate.
If this is the case, at the end of the install when it gives you the chance
to edit files put acpi_sony_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf prior to
rebooting.

Second has to do with AHCI support, and I'm a little fuzzy here. IIRC Intel
began AHCI support with the ICH6 chip. With the advent of FreeBSD 9 the
underlying mechanism has changed to the new ATA_CAM layer, with ahci support
a default. Check your BIOS (if possible) to see what options are available.
You may try disabling AHCI by switching to Legacy IDE mode and see what
changes. If it works when you do this it confirms this to be where the
problem lies. Also ensure you are not using any BIOS config for AHCI+RAID.

Now you don't really want to run a modern day box without AHCI as you lose
things like NCQ resulting in performance loss. Especially for SSDs as they
demand it.  You may be able to play around a little using the loader (press
"2") to set and unset various variables. For example, hint.ahci.X.msi=0
would turn off MSI support. As far as specific settings for controlling
ATA_CAM and/or other AHCI support I'm fuzzy on this. Perhaps if you reach
this point someone more knowlegable can chime in. But if you were to find a
sysctl that made it magically work with AHCI you could put it in loader.conf
to make it permanent.

As far as what I can tell from the PR you mentioned, if you saw the exact
same behavior after having installed FBSD 8.1 and then subsquently trying to
upgrade to 8.2 it would nail it to matching the PR. Sometimes there are
hardware identifiers like PCI ID's that just need to be added to source for
some minor offshoot/revision chip to be recognized properly. If you got down
to this by process of elimination you would probably at that point want to
work with a developer (someone much smarter than me) to get support added.
If this were to become the case this is desirable as it would remove the
problem for anyone else coming along later.

Hope this helps any, as it's just basically just a couple of wild guesses to
maybe get you started.

-Mike