FreeBSD 9 and 3G Modems

Alejandro Imass ait at p2ee.org
Wed Jan 25 17:39:30 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 5:50 AM, Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo at gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

> You know, sometimes all this process is what makes people shy off of *BSD. I am a diehard lover of FreeBSD, but the few times I have installed Linux on my laptop, this whole process was a breeze... well, not quite, but not as difficult as it is in FreeBSD. Luckily, I use WiFi more than I use 3G, so it's never quite bothered me. Even now, I just want to see how easy it can be on PC-BSD/FreeBSD, with a GUI to boot, if there is, but I do not feel it is such a big necessity for me, because I have D-Link DIR-825 which can use this modem on it's USB port and allow me to use 3G.

It used to be like that in Linux as well. It's only until recently
that the netowrk manager app supports 3g modems. The problem is when
these graphical apps fail you have virtually no way to see what's
going on, just plug and pray.

If you get the tty, using Wvdial is actuall much easier than any other
dialing/ppp tool I've ever used. So even on Linuxes with NM applet and
3g modem support I would use Wvdial, and on FBSD especially! wvdial is
much more robust than the nm apps, IMHO.

--
Alejandro Imass