FreeBSD 9 and 3G Modems

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Wed Jan 25 12:48:19 UTC 2012

El día Tuesday, January 24, 2012 a las 10:23:18PM -0800, Ivan Frosty escribió:

> The FreeBSD u3g driver ¶¶
>

> Introduction ¶¶
> This driver supports 3G (UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA, HSPA) cards that provide
> access to one or more serial ports through a USB interface, providing
> PPP and AT command channels simultaneously. Some devices provide
> access to multiple pairs of channels for integrated GPS', or other
> access methods (Option HSO driver).
>
> Transfer speeds should be above 30k on a good UMTS connection and a
> fast server:

I'm using for years now the u3g(4) driver in 8-CURRENT, 9- and
10-CURRENT; it just works fine with ppp(8) and gives, if the provider
has no bottle-nack in channels, up to 2 Mbps down- and 1 Mbps upstream;
I'm using USB Huawei dongles or USB sticks. There is nearly nothing
magic, it just works: you plug in the key, some devd(8) hook sends down
the PIN to the created serial device, and I start ppp(8) by hand (could
be done as well from a devd(8) hook);

HIH

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz
t +49-89-61308 351 - f +49-89-61308 399 - m +49-170-4527211