Horrible installer (was: Re: FreeBSD 9)

B. Kyle Adkins bkyleadkins at cox.net
Mon Jan 23 22:54:58 UTC 2012

I'm very new to FreeBSD but it seems to me that the installer is pretty much ok.   My only wish is that there might be a little more info upfront somewhere, preferably in the installer somewhere, about setting up for a dual boot.   I couldn't find in the handbook, (that may be my fault, don't know, but i finally googled the info i needed, after thinking that I had inadvertently committed my Windows slice into the abyss.  maybe that was a good thing, but....

IMO though, the installer should be as lightweight and spare as possible, that is, if the engineering dudes are writing it.  I would rather see them doing their fantastic work on the OS, not on the installer anyway.   Seems to me that a full-featured GUI installer would be a good project for the community?  (ok, yeah they could have left sysinstall alone, but so what???)  If you had to depend on sysinstall on a daily basis, i could see having issues with the change, but then again, if you are using it that often a custom install script....something... would be better anyway.

from my point of view, I would rather learn how to do this by hand, because then i would come out learning a lot more, and  knowing more about my own system.   Probably be next on my agenda.

since this is my first contact with the community, I would like to thank the development folks properly for the awesome work that they do, and to those who contribute to this list.

Kyle Adkins
Sent from my iPad