Applying local patches after updating FreeBSD source

Maxim Khitrov max at mxcrypt.com
Mon Jan 23 19:14:21 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 1:25 PM, Matthew Seaman
<m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:
> On 23/01/2012 18:03, Maxim Khitrov wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> When I need to apply a custom patch to a port, I can set EXTRA_PATCHES
>> make variable in /usr/local/etc/ports.conf (when using portconf), and
>> the patch will be automatically applied whenever that port is built.
>> Is there equivalent functionality for building FreeBSD world and
>> kernel?
>>
>> When I run 'make update' in /usr/src, csup overwrites all local
>> changes. There is a LOCAL_PATCHES variable, but it seems to apply only
>> to 'make release'.
>>
>> If possible, I would like to avoid writing custom scripts for updating
>> and building world, because at some point I will forget to use the
>> script and build everything without the patches. How can I preserve
>> the current behavior of running 'make update && make buildworld
>> buildkernel' while automatically applying custom patches in between?
>
> Check the system sources out of svn?
>
> This way, you can apply your patches and the result is automatically
> merged when you update the sources by 'svn up' -- unless there has been
> a conflicting commit to the same file, when you may be required to
> intervene manually.

I don't have subversion installed on any of my servers and that's a
dependency that I would prefer to do without.

Are there any changes I could make to /etc/make.conf that would allow
me to execute an arbitrary command after the 'update' task is
finished?

- Max