Horrible installer (was: Re: FreeBSD 9)

Devin Teske devin.teske at fisglobal.com
Mon Jan 23 18:51:49 UTC 2012

Disagree.

For example, field engineers which may not be expected to know how to manage
FreeBSD _ARE_ expected to know how to install it. A manual install process is
more prone to errors than one that is guided by something/anything.

> Do not forget that FreeBSD is for unix users,

Not all "users" are people. A corporation can be considered a "unix user" which
changes the perspective quite a bit.

> contrary to linux which is
> for windoze haters.
>

> Again i propose removing sysinstall altogether.

And you'll have your wish... over time! The community has agreed to phase out
sysinstall(8) gradually over the next 2 or three releases (producing either a
10.0 or 11.0 that is free of sysinstall depending on how things progress with
respect to replacement utilities such as bsdinstall and the proposed bsdconfig).
--
Devin