kgzip(8) regression in RELENG_9 GENERIC

CyberLeo Kitsana cyberleo at cyberleo.net
Sat Jan 21 09:41:04 UTC 2012

On 01/20/2012 09:02 PM, Devin Teske wrote:
> Taking a GENERIC 9.0-RELEASE kernel and running kgzip(8) on it produces an
> unusable kernel which causes immediate BTX halt in loader(8).

> 4. Say: kgzip kernel

Curious, it doesn't even look like that binary is hooked into the build
process at all on 9.0-RELEASE.

It's manpage indicates that it is unsuitable for loader(8) use, and that
just running gzip(1) on the kernel file is sufficient; a fact to which I
can attest, since I compress everything in /boot/kernel to save space on
my flashcard installs, and the loader has no problem decompressing it on
the fly.

kldload(8), on the other hand, still seems to be incapable of handling
gzipped klds.

--
Fuzzy love,
-CyberLeo