Horrible installer

gore koggybsd at comcast.net
Sat Jan 21 09:25:50 UTC 2012

On Saturday 21 January 2012 12:52:31 am Damien Fleuriot wrote:
> On 21 Jan 2012, at 05:47, Michael Sierchio <kudzu at tenebras.com> wrote:
> > I've been using FreeBSD since 2.2.1, and.... IMHO, the 9.0
> > installer SUX! It blow chunks. It's a POS.  It's crap.  It is a
> > joke.
> >
> > I hope I made myself clear. ;-)
> >
> > - M
>
> Just because you see things a certain way doesn't make them a fact.
> It's your personal opinion and other people's mileage may vary.
>
> Since you're a fbsd user from 2.x, certainly you're WAY beyond
> needing the installer and just unpack the base system + kern + src +
> ports and install them manually.

Well, because that's work, and anyone who simply says something sucks
like that, probably doesn't like doing that lol ;)

> Refer my earlier post on the subject.
>
> Perhaps if you're unhappy with the new installer you should have
> submitted feedback about it before -RELEASE hit the road.

I too wonder about this. I mean, 9.0 was supposed to be out BEFORE it
was actually released, and it was released a little late, so there was
actually MORE time to talk about this with someone than what I'm
guessing is normal.

> Last but not least I find your calling the new installer a "pos"
> highly disrespectful towards the people that invested time, energy
> and money in it.

I agree. Someone saying anything free is a "POS" is kind of like... You
know? I bet that's Meg griffin! lol.

I'm not the best person for sales because I speak my mind, so I can
easily say simply "If you don't like it, you have choices; You can
either write a new installer yourself, find another one that works with
it, use a different version, a different OS period, or, of course, shut
up and like it since you didn't exactly pay through the nose for it".

It's totally free, and you can install it on any number of machines.
Complaining about free stuff is perfectly fine I think, but at least
give examples of how you think it could be better, or, fix it! Note pad
comes for free on Windows, and it blows like Windows does, but I'm not
a programmer so even if you COULD get the source, I couldn't fix it.
But, I don't sit there telling Microsoft's terrible tech supportpeople
who failed at sellingused cars that it sucks...

If I wanted to try that out I'd tell Richard Stallman where he could
stick Emacs and every bit of the source code lol..Anyone who thinks ITS
is better than Unix..... Yea... Right... An OS entirely in Assembler, 6
characters no exceptions no passwords and "hey I have a Hack! use Enter
for your password!".... Luckly ITS was crappy enough no one in their
right mind would WANT to break in to steal CPU cycles lol. That's like
breaking into a VMS machine; I'd rather dip my balls in honey and tea
bag a jar full of Bullet Ants. (And if you didn't laugh enough at that;
look up Bullet Ants; They have one of the most painful stings of
anything, and, as such, you aren't considered a man by most tribes
until you stick your hands in a special glove set with them in there)
lol :)

-Allen

--
BSD user