gmirror failure booting 9.0 kernel upgrading from 8.2

Artem Kajalainen artem at kayalaynen.ru
Wed Jan 18 08:45:56 UTC 2012

> > I'm trying to upgrade a brand new server from 8.2 to 9.0 via source.  I've done this upgrade twice so far, once on a vmware test system, and once on a Sun X4100m2, both with success.
> >
> > On this system, which is a Supermicro motherboard, I have gmirror boot disk.  The other two did not (hardware RAID on the Sun).
> >
> > The boot fails as follows.  The gmirror is not degraded.  The part that concerns me is this:
> >
> > GEOM_PART: integrity check failed (mirror/gm0, MBR)
> >
> > This is loading a custom kernel, which pulls in geom_mirror as a module.
> >
> > I think the issue is that I have to convince gmirror to use ada0 and ada1 instead of ad4 and ad6 as the component devices.  How does one accomplish this if one cannot boot?  The server is remote, so plugging in the memstick image will be tricky :)

I think you have the same issue ->
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-geom/2011-October/005071.html
I had the same problem. I destroyed mirror, made gpt partitions on one
disk, dumped fs from 8.2, installed 9.0 on this disk, booted from this
disk and made new mirror :-)
ad->ada is not a problem for gmirror.

---
With Best Regards / Ystävällisin terveisin
Artem Kajalainen