Smartcam (or can you use linux dev driver + program)

Zane C. B-H. v.velox at vvelox.net
Wed Jan 18 06:54:29 UTC 2012

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 01:49:06 -0800
Lyubomir Grigorov <lyubomir at grigorovl.eu> wrote:

> <snip>
> QUESTION
>
> Is it even possible to use the Linux dev driver under FreeBSD? Since
> Smartcam is a 2-part suite: driver and application.

The Linux compatibility layer for FreeBSD does not include the ability
to use Linux kernel modules. It concerns it's self with providing
support for the non-kernel stuff.

> If it's not possible to use linuxator, will it be possible to use the
> source to create a FreeBSD version of the dev driver? I assume the
> program will be easier to port than the actual driver.

With out any changes, no. The Linux kernel and FreeBSD kernel are two
very different items.

If you are looking to port it, below are some links that would be a good
place to start off with reading.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/arch-handbook/index.html
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/index.html
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/index.html