update from 8.2 ZFS on root to 9.0

Magnus Strahlert magnus.strahlert at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 12:44:18 UTC 2012

On 15 January 2012 14:23, Dick Hoogendijk <dick at nagual.nl> wrote:
> Does anybody already did a *binary* update (w/ freebsd-update) from a zfs on
> root freebsd-8.2-RELEASE to a new freebsd-9.0-RELEASE zfs on root system?
> Did all went well? I know the procedure (freebsd-update, recompile all
> ports, finish freebsd-update). Succes stories please.. ;-)

Did just that with no kinks at all. It's a zfsroot system with
gptzfsloader. Had to upgrade the gpt bootcode as instructed when
upgrading the zpool for the system to boot. Installing misc/compat8x
made the ports upgrade a lot smoother.

Also had to manually fetch source.txz and extract into /usr/src/sys in
order for certain ports to build correctly such as x11/nvidia-driver,
as that was not done by freebsd-update