SSD for ZIL suggestions?

Leon Meßner l.messner at physik.tu-berlin.de
Sun Jan 15 22:22:40 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 09:40:58PM -0600, Rob wrote:
> I'm looking at getting a couple of SSDs to act as ZIL drives on FreeBSD
> 8/9 systems.  Are there any recommended drives?

We recently bought the Intel 311 for that purpose. This drive is quite
cheap and should perform ok. If you want something better have a look at
the 710 line. You should always mirror your ZIL drives. There's a lot of
content available on this subject actually. I once read about a tool
called zilstat which should help you decide if you do actually need a
SSD. NFS and db's are the usual usecases.

cherio,
Leon