Portmanager Status Report Gone

Daniel Staal DStaal at usa.net
Sun Jan 15 18:02:05 UTC 2012

--As of January 15, 2012 12:25:47 PM -0500, Jerry is alleged to have said:

> Well, you might try and deinstall and then reinstall "portmanager".
> Perhaps something got corrupted, although I don't know why that might
> have happened.

No joy.  Worth a try though.  ;)

My suspicion is that it's a permissions issue someplace, somehow: I was
trying portmaster in it's 'run as wheel, sudo to root when needed' mode,
and it kept throwing permissions errors at me which I fixed for a while.
(Before reverting to just running it as root.)

Of course, I'm running *portmanager* as root, so...  (Both under sudo, and
from root's cron.)

> I have "BATCH=yes" set in the "/etc/make.conf" file to avoid receiving
> those annoying "config screens." Of course that does require you to
> insure that your ports are configured the way you want them prior to
> updating them. I don't find it a problem; however, others might.

Interesting.  I'll keep that in mind.  Something to take a look at once
I've gotten this solved.  ;)

> By the way, how do you update your ports tree? Perhaps something got
> corrupted there. I use portsnap myself, so you could use it to just
> create a new tree thereby over writing the old one. Just a thought.

I have csup set to run once a week in cron.  I don't think that corrupted
anything:     `portmanager -s -y` ran fine before I ran portmaster, and I
didn't update the tree in between.  But blowing away the tree and
re-creating it is starting to sound like something worth a try.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.