Probable Hardware Failure

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Sun Jan 15 00:46:53 UTC 2012

I have a pretty old desktop that has been around quite awhile.  It has started periodic crashes.  No log messages.  However, the core status files all show "double fault".  I am confident this is a hardware issue, but is there any easy way to determine if its power or memory related?  Those are the primary candidates although memory is also possible.  We really need to replace the entire unit, but that might be a bit more salable if I can present convincing evidence of the cause of the problem.