FreeBSD Mailling list and Slieve filter

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 14 13:08:56 UTC 2012

On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 19:44:04 +1000
Da Rock wrote:

> On 01/14/12 19:02, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> > On 14/01/2012 05:25, Tobi wrote:
> >> Thanks!!!
> >> It works fine with this:
> >>
> >> if header :contains ["List-ID"] "freebsd-questions at freebsd.org" {
> >>      fileinto "INBOX.Mailinglisten.FreeBSD.freebsd-questions";
> >>      stop;
> >> }
> > You'll find that whenever someone replies to one of your messages
> > on the list you'll often tend to get the response directly rather
> > than via the mailing list, so it won't be filed by this rule.
> Actually, my experience shows that it will still *usually* result in
> a success- the various headers generally remain intact with replies,
> but it is one of the other header fields that changes. The above will
> work 98% of the time.

The problem occurs when you don't get the in-list copy, either because
the list doesn't send copies to addresses in Cc/To, or because some
mail systems (gmail) treat the delayed in-list copy as a duplicate. In
this case you can't use list-id reliably.

I think it's unusual for lists to suppress in-list copies, except as
an option, so this is mostly a gmail problem. I had to rewrite my
sieve rules when I switched to  gmail, before that list-id worked just
fine.