disk problem(s)

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Jan 14 09:34:04 UTC 2012

On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 10:12:48 +0100, Bernt Hansson wrote:
> 2012-01-14 09:22, Polytropon skrev:
> > How many subdirectories are there?
>
> ls | wc -l
>     32765

Seems that you have reached LINK_MAX of 32767
(according to /usr/src/sys/sys/syslimits.h).
The difference of 2, I assume, is one for .
and one for .. "hidden" entries.

> > Could you, for example, try removing one and then
> > creating a new one (assumption: success), followed
> > by another try to create one (assumption: fail)?
>

> That is a nono
>
> I'll have to pop in another disk.

As the voice from the GPS navigation system tends
to say: "You have reached your destination." :-)

Re-arranging the content of the disk could be an
option, but if you're using that disk as some kind
of WORM medium (e. g. backup disk), I understand
the nono.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany