Clarification about AMD64 port for Core Duo

Frank Lay itasyno at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 16:25:49 UTC 2012

Hello,

The CURRENT (9.0R) release notes have the following to say about the
AMD64 port:

-------------------------->8-------------------------------------
As of this writing, the following processors are supported:
* All Intel Core 2 (not Core Duo) and later processors

Yet I see many people on the Internet claiming that they're running
FreeBSD version <= 9.0 successfully with Core Duos. What's the meaning
of this? I own a C2D E8400 (Wolfdale) processor, would I perhaps be
safer chosing the i386 port? Or is this all hyperbole?

I'd appreciate any time you could spare explaining this to me.

Cordially,
    Frank.