little things

Mike Woods mike at geofront.co.uk
Thu Jan 12 13:30:43 UTC 2012

Quoting Dan Nelson <dnelson at allantgroup.com>:

> As far as network traffic info, ifconfig is used for configuring interfaces,
> not monitoring them.  The "netstat -ib" command will give you total bytes
> sent/received per interface, but the best solution is probably to poll them
> with snmp.

Having just been looking into this on this very list I can confirm
that snmp is the way to go, netstat uses 32bit counters and as a
result the counter resets far to often to be of any real use (given
that i'm calculating throughput so amount/time), net-snmp can be
configured to use 64bit counters and is thus far proving *far* more
useful!