pkg_add -r and a local package repo

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Jan 11 22:23:52 UTC 2012

On Jan 11, 2012, at 2:03 PM, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
> First, it looks like pkg_add -r needs the full package name.  Is there
> any way to give it "zsh" instead of "zsh-4.3.15"?

Create a symlink from zsh-4.3.15.tbz to zsh.tbz on the package server.
You can also control this at the time of building the package via:

  www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/makefile-naming.html#AEN647

"5.2.4 LATEST_LINK

LATEST_LINK is used during package building to determine a shortened name to create links that can be used by pkg_add -r. This makes it possible to, for example, install the latest perl version by running pkg_add -r perl without knowing the exact version number. This name needs to be unique and obvious to users."

> Second, it looks like it won't install dependencies.  This is a problem.
> Can I get it to search and install dependencies somehow?

Does the package in question have its dependencies properly specified?

Regards,
--
-Chuck