starting firefox3 with defined geometry

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Jan 10 18:27:47 UTC 2012

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 09:56:21 +0100, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> El día Tuesday, January 10, 2012 a las 09:25:54AM +0100, Polytropon escribió:
>
> > Answer: Yes, but it's not as easy as it could have been.
> >
> > Unlike nearly every other X11 program, notably the "old"
> > and "outdated" ones, Firefox does _not_ seem to support
> > the _standard_ -geometry WxH+X+Y parameter.
> >
> > However, you can define the window width and height
> > with command line parameters:
> >
> > 	% firefox -width 1024 -height 768
>
> does not work with firefox-3.5.18 (from ports) on 9-CURRENT;

Oh the joy of modern software. :-)

> > There is a "workaround" for the lack of standard
> > geometry support: You could have Firefox execute
> > JavaScript instructions at startup
> >
> > 	window.moveTo(100, 100);
> > 	window.resizeTo(1024, 768);
>
> will try this in the page source;

You can also provide those as command line parameters
and have Firefox execute them on startup

	% firefox javascript:%20resizeTo\(500,500\)

This works with v6.0.1 running on WindowMaker.

As you said you're running KDE, why not try to
compensate Firefox's inabilities to support
standard -geometry parameters? I found this
tool:

	http://tomas.styblo.name/wmctrl/

Maybe it also works with KDE which manages
the Firefox window?

The program can be found at x11/wmctrl in the
ports collection. KDE uses kwin as its window
management subsystem which (according to the
documentation) should be compatible.

It's really annoying that one has to jump through
such hoops just to get a 30 year old standard
functionality that every other program has...
Hey, even Opera can do it!

And now back to history. :-)

> > > UNIX since V7 on PDP-11, UNIX on mainframe since ESER 1055 (IBM /370)
> >
> > PDP-11 or K1600? Oh, and EC1056 here (OS/ES SVM OP1). :-)
>
> both, PDP-11 and the clone;

Our clone or the KFKI clone?

http://hampage.hu/tpa/e_tpa1140.html

Did you run MUTOS or SVP on that thing?

> have you ever driven a UNIX by punch cards?

No, but I'm familiar with the concept of input redirection
in batch mode. Even TSO could be fed via punch cards as it
was represented as a batch job. :-)

> does PSU ring a bell?
> http://cvs.laladev.de/index.html/P8000/WEGA/contrib/ingres/dbs/tmp/ing_Vortrag?rev=1.1&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

Yes, it does. And I even know this text - which is
easy as the material found on the Internet about
this topic is very limited. :-)

Do you know VMX, a UNIX running as a virtual machine
on SVM?

(I've also been running UNIX System III "WEGA" on
a P8000 here.)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany