FreeBSD9 + PHP

Damien Fleuriot ml at my.gd
Tue Jan 10 16:14:34 UTC 2012

On 1/10/12 4:34 PM, Alejandro Imass wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 9:32 AM, Damien Fleuriot <ml at my.gd> wrote:
>>

> [...]
>

>> Mine is, as I pointed out in my earlier reply to Dick, that people who
>> don't even *use* apache shouldn't get stuck with a *useless apache
>> module* just because they installed PHP.
>>

>> A possible alternative that would keep everyone happy would be *another*
>> package that actually includes the module, like for example a package
>> called "mod_php5", it would install the stuff from php5 + the apache module.
>
> Could be, something like mod_perl, but contrary from Perl, PHP is not
> very useful without Apache anyway.

And who are you to claim that "php is not very useful w/o apache anyway" ?
I mean, just because it falls within your needs doesn't mean it's a good
option for everyone.

In the same way, I could claim that rsyslogd should replace syslogd in
the base system because I find it better, so everyone should use it.

We use PHP here in a production environment on many servers that have
never seen, and will never ever see, apache.

On some it runs daemons, on some it runs scripts, on yet some others
it's served by either nginx or lighttpd, not to mention dedicated
fastcgi servers that don't have a web server running to begin with.

IMO the best option would be a separate package, enforcing an apache
module on people that will never ever use it is just plain dumb.

This also seems to be the opinion of the port's manager, seeing mod_php
is unselected by default.

Just my 2 cents.