ZFS Root Won't Mount - Unknown Filesystem -- SOLVED

krad kraduk at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 09:48:11 UTC 2012

On 9 January 2012 01:31, Matt Mullins <mokomull at gmail.com> wrote:

> Whoops, I missed this message before posting my reply a few minutes ago.
>
> On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 9:36 AM, Drew Tomlinson <drew at mykitchentable.net>
> wrote:
> > Yes, although I've read that 'zfs set mountpoint=/ zroot' is acceptable
> as
> > well.  I set mine to "/" after trying to import pool with '-o
> altroot=/mnt'
> > in LiveCD.  When mountpoint was "legacy", altroot didn't work right.
> >  Opinions on "/" vs. "legacy"?
>
> Most of the FreeBSD guides seem to think "legacy" is the way to go,
> but I much prefer "/" myself.  The main difference is with "legacy",
> one sets a mountpoint option on each filesystem under it (which does,
> indeed, undermine the altroot facility), whereas "/" lets the other
> filesystems inherit their mountpoint from their path in the zpool.
> "/" seems to be a little closer to its Solaris usage, which is still
> the majority of the documentation you'll find on ZFS on the internet
> (and even in the man pages distributed with FreeBSD).
> --
> Matt Mullins

you need to be careful with that as opensolaris does do that as you say but
it also uses it in conjunction with the canmount property. If you have
multiple root filesystems like i do (modeling opensolaris boot enviroments)
you could get undesirable file system mounting happening if you have
multiple / mountpoint specified.

$ zfs get -r  canmount rpool/ROOT
NAME                                           PROPERTY  VALUE     SOURCE
rpool/ROOT                                     canmount  off       local
rpool/ROOT/opensolaris-13                      canmount  noauto    local
rpool/ROOT/opensolaris-14                      canmount  noauto    local
rpool/ROOT/opensolaris-14 at 2010-11-17-11:38:57  canmount  -         -