How To Enable ls Color?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Jan 9 00:14:11 UTC 2012

On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 16:04:17 -0800, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
> I've installed 9.0-RC3 amd64.  I'm trying to enable color output for
> ls.  I've issued the basic 'ls -Gla' but output is not colored.  Yet if
> I can get colorized output by providing color codes (echo
> ^[[34mhello^[[37m produces a blue "hello") at the command line so I know
> my terminal is capable.
>
> Is there some other secret?  This is a new install and I'm just trying
> to set things up.

Put

	setenv LSCOLORS ExGxdxdxCxDxDxBxBxegeg

in the csh's initialisation file (typically ~/.cshrc
for local use, /etc/csh.cshrc for global effect)
and maybe setup an alias:

	alias ls 'ls -FG'
	alias ll 'ls -laFG'

However, ls should provide colored output even
if you don't set the $LSCOLORS variable. It
should work with the default terminal emulation
(cons25 or cons25l1).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany