problem with terminal capabilities when using terminal from within emacs

Joseph Mingrone jrm at ftfl.ca
Sun Jan 8 18:12:56 UTC 2012

>From within emacs, if I invoke a new multi-term buffer with C-c c, the
TERM environment variable is set to eterm-color and a TERMCAP variable
is also set and
everything works fine.  However, if I ssh to a remote host from within
this buffer, only the TERM variable remains set and the keybindings
don't work.  If I manually set the TERMCAP variable nothing changes.

Is there  a way to ssh to a remote host from within a multi-term
buffer and have the terminal capabilities work out?

I'm running emacs 23.3 on 8-STABLE.

Thanks.