Installing FreeBSD ver. 8.2

andrew clarke mail at ozzmosis.com
Sun Jan 8 16:43:58 UTC 2012

On Sat 2012-01-07 15:05:55 UTC-0800, leeoliveshackelford at surewest.net (leeoliveshackelford at surewest.net) wrote:

> (5) What device driver must be installed for the sound board to be
> able to receive a m.i.d.i. over u.s.b. signal?  This signal would be
> generated by a musician's keyboard, and would control a music
> synthesizer application, to be installed.  I could find no mention of
> this topic in the Handbook.

There are USB to MIDI in/out hardware devices available. Last I looked
they were selling for about US$25 on eBay. I bought one about two
years ago and use it in Ubuntu Linux. I don't think I ever tested if
it worked in FreeBSD but I suspect it would.

I also have a Casio WK3300 keyboard with USB output. I don't think it
was supported by FreeBSD, but Ubuntu Linux (10.04 Lucid) recognised it.

The sound card you use is irrelevant as to whether you can use MIDI
over USB. In fact MIDI can be used for non-audio applications, for
example lighting rigs.