ZFS Root Won't Mount - Unknown Filesystem -- SOLVED

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Sat Jan 7 17:40:17 UTC 2012

On 1/7/2012 8:29 AM, APseudoUtopia wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Mark Felder<feld at feld.me>  wrote:
>> Hi Drew,
>>
>> I'm pretty sure you can't run a RAIDZ as your root pool. That's likely the
>> problem. Kind of sucks, I know :-(
>>
> You can use raidz1 as your root pool. I'm running it right now on my 9.0 system.
>
> Drew: My first suggestion is to confirm that you added the proper
> options in /boot/loader.conf. Mine looks like this:
>
> vfs.root.mountfrom="zfs:zroot"
> zfs_load="YES"

Thank you for your reply.  This was my problem.  I had the
zfs_load="YES" in /etc/rc.conf, not /boot/loader.conf.

> In addition, zfs_enable="YES" in your /etc/rc.conf to automount the
> other zfs filesystems, such as /usr, /var, or whichever ones you
> setup.
>
> Did you set the proper mountpoints on your zfs filesystems before
> rebooting? As in, `zfs set mountpoint=legacy zroot` and `zfs set
> mountpoint=/usr zroot/usr` and so on, for each for your file systems.

Yes, although I've read that 'zfs set mountpoint=/ zroot' is acceptable
as well.  I set mine to "/" after trying to import pool with '-o
altroot=/mnt' in LiveCD.  When mountpoint was "legacy", altroot didn't
work right.  Opinions on "/" vs. "legacy"?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Drew

--