failure - write_dma issue

John Almberg jalmberg at identry.com
Fri Jan 6 19:42:27 UTC 2012

One of my servers -- I believe running 6.x -- developed a HD problem last night. The console was displaying the following, over and over again:

g_vfs_done():ad0s1d[WRITE(offset=970506240, length=-16384)error= 5
ad0: FAILURE - WRITE_DMA status=71<READY,DMA_READY,DSC,ERROR> error=4<ABORTED> LBA=3918703

My FreeBSD servers have been quite reliable since I started using them 4 or 5 years ago, so I don't have much experience debugging them.

Can anyone give me a hint about what might be wrong (I assume with the HD), and how/if it might be fixable?

TIA: John

“Wealth is the ability to fully experience life.” – Henry David Thoreau