Waay OT Now... FreeBSD Kernel Internals Documentation

Mario Lobo lobo at bsd.com.br
Tue Jan 3 01:07:14 UTC 2012

On Monday 02 January 2012 20:25:22 Da Rock wrote:
> On 01/03/12 08:10, Mario Lobo wrote:
> > On Monday 02 January 2012 18:42:44 Nikola Pavlović wrote:
> >> On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 03:32:17PM -0500, David Jackson wrote:
> > [troll snipper]

> >> You see, you could have just proposed this in the first place instead of
> >> provoking a flame fest, ranting about, mostly imagined, lack of
> >> documentation, GUI configuration tools and giving condescending lectures
> >> on programmer productivity.  Oh well...
> >
> > Right on, Nikola !
> >
> > But David's paragraph I left in is a "real dream" for me. It is basicaly
> > what's keeping me from using FBSD as my audio workstation.
> >
> > I have an Echo Gina3D card there is simply no FBSD driver for it. But
> > there are Mac drivers from Echo!.
> >
> > I even too a shot at downloading the framework/API from Echo (windows :(
> > ) but it is just way above me.
> >
> > A colegue from Japan had written a driver for an old Echo Gina 20 bit
> > which I managed to compile and load (believe it or not) but it was for
> > FBSD 5. I tried to compile it on my FBSD 8 STABLE but it issues too much
> > errors that (again) is beyond my capacity.
> >
> > But I'm a stubborn one, so I'll try to keep learning from my mistakes.
> > Maybe one day a new driver for FBSD will be born.
>
> Completely off thread now... but I've had success using FBSD as an audio
> workstation for a recording job.

Humm ... Drivers off-topic in a Kernel Internal documentation discussion?
It may be a little off-topic from the OP, but waay OT? Please, allow me to
disagree.

> Used Audacity, Rosegarden, hydrogen and Jack with a Yamaha usb
> soundboard. Midi was an issue though, and I used a linux workstation
> with Jack using net backend. That was over a year ago, and now I believe
> there is a jack midi interface for FBSD.
>
> Works well, but your hardware sounds like it does differ greatly, sorry.

Yeah! I've done that too (all on FBSD). But I need it to work with a bit
higher end cards like the Gina3D for pro-work.

--
Mario Lobo
http://www.mallavoodoo.com.br