FreeBSD Kernel Internals Documentation

Da Rock freebsd-questions at herveybayaustralia.com.au
Sun Jan 1 13:00:31 UTC 2012

On 01/01/12 21:42, Jerry wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 09:03:38 +1000
> Da Rock articulated:
>
>> Mac doesn't support all hardware from what I understand, and the only
>> system with 100% hardware support is Winblows. Given the design
>> philosophy of Winblows, how well written do you think the hardware
>> drivers are coded? For that matter, how well do you think the
>> hardware is made? From my meanderings on this list and others a lot
>> of hardware needs software compensation for it to work as well as it
>> does on FreeBSD and even linux.
> I am sure that you will be happy to supply verifiable documentation to
> support your claims.
If you want to verify, then by all means parouse this list and others
(even in the linux community) over the past _five_ (thats 5) years.
> As for the the quality of the "hardware", that would be solely dependent
> on the devices manufacturer. The drivers are obviously coded in a
> fashion that allows the device to operate in its environment. Any
> further discussion is impossible without defining some specific
> parameters.
A lot of hardware is now run using firmware, which may or may not
contain a bug or two which may work better in M$ behemoth but will
usually die a lot faster, and reduce its usable life- not to mention
speed. A lot of updates include "fixes" for these, which may or may not
solve the problems.
> The basic problem is that open-sore users are by and large suffering
> from a "sour grapes" philosophy. It is a common "school yard"
> phenomena; however, it is usually outgrown at some time in an
> individuals lifetime. However, unfortunately, that is not written in
> concrete either.
>
> "Tempora mutantur", however with the exception of Ubuntu the rest of
> the open-sore community, to various degrees, continue to stagnate.
I'm sorry but I'm really pissed off tonight and you're attitude is
really rubbing me the wrong way. If you want to be best mates with Gates
and his horde then by all means... but this is a genuine discussion in
an attempt to resolve _these_ issues, and clarify points as to why
things are a certain way. If you don't agree, then be silent and ignore
what you perceive to be crap, or at the very least _try_ not to be so
aggressive and offensive. A lot of us on this list do this as common
courtesy.