clang vs gcc linking problem

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Sun Feb 26 00:03:32 UTC 2012

Artifex Maximus wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Absolutely not a flame war but would like to switch to clang in a
> project. Project uses ncurses. gcc works well but the executable fails
> when compiled other than -O0. Then I think I should change to clang
> which will becomes the default compiler in FreeBSD. With clang at
> linking time I got the following error:
>
> /usr/local/bin/ld: display/libsub_display.a(canvas.o): undefined
> reference to symbol 'keypad'
> /usr/local/bin/ld: note: 'keypad' is defined in DSO
> /usr/local/lib/libtinfow.so.6.0 so try adding it to the linker command
> line
> /usr/local/lib/libtinfow.so.6.0: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
> clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
> *** Error code 1
>
> With exactly the same flags gcc links successful. Any idea where is
> the problem and what is the solution?
>
> Thanks,

There have been quite a number of discussions on Gcc & Clang
of various lists since efforts to transition started,
I don't see a specific list here,
	http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo
but this may interest
	http://wiki.freebsd.org/BuildingFreeBSDWithClang

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, cumulative like a play script, & indent with "> ".