SMTP error: 552 5.6.0 Headers too large (32768 max)

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Thu Feb 23 19:01:40 UTC 2012

Well spotted & said :-)

> Not only is "Al Hadith" the Islamic term for the teachings and acts of
> the Islamic prophet Muhammad, but the To: field had 388 other addresses
> in it. It's a nasty troll.

Those 388 probably explain why I just saw on a FreeBSD-6.4 host:

] fetchmail: SMTP error: 552 5.6.0 Headers too large (32768 max)
] fetchmail: mail from MAILER-DAEMON at ........ bounced to owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
] fetchmail: SMTP listener refused delivery

My sympathies go to postmaster@ team who are probably already
receiving lots of bounces & noise on this.

PS Yes I realise I should upgrade that 6.4 box to 8.2
	(as headers made it through the more modern SMTP of list
	server), but my local tech. constraints etc delay me ).

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, cumulative like a play script, & indent with "> ".