Installation troubles

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Feb 22 14:58:58 UTC 2012

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 15:04:12 +0100, herbert langhans wrote:
> Now my question: can I take the harddisk out, install FreeBSD 9 over
> another laptop (with the X31-harddisk inside) and put the installed
> harddrive back to the X31? Is there anything else besides the rc.d-stuff
> what will/will not get installed if I use the 'wrong' computer?

I've done this with a very old laptop (where I did install
its 2.5" disk using an adapter in a "normal" PC). After
that, booting performed normally. I've also used a 5.4-p12
PATA disk on a system that previously ran 7-STABLE during
a data recovery session - it also booted fine, except X
didn't come up (xorg.conf had hardcoded S3, system had
an ATI card). But the OS never did anything strange.

The only issue I say _may_ be boot loading device names
(e. g. if the disk will be ad0 in the run-laptop, but
ad4 in the install-laptop); using GPT partitioning or
labels should avoid this problem.

FreeBSD is totally agnostic of "this is not the system
I've been installed to". Hardware detection will take
place when you boot it, _not_ when you install it.

After you have installed the OS, see if it properly boots
(or if scanning the USB ports causes a kernel lock again).
Do any further installs  (ports / packages) from the new
laptop.

It's also worth mentioning that you need to have the
capability to run the same architecture (i386 or amd64)
on both machines, and use the proper install image
(e. g. don't try to install amd64 version of the OS
on a system that doesn't run it). :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany