New iso format on 9.0

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Feb 21 13:34:13 UTC 2012

On 21/02/2012 12:46, egoitz at ramattack.net wrote:
> Previously I was doing a : 'tar -C /expert/netboot/freebsd8 -pxvf
> 8.0-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso' for extracting iso files. Now due to a
> different way of creating iso files in this new release... have read
> this is not recommended and in fact it does not work pretty good. The
> matter because I wanted to make this extraction is for an unattended
> installation system of FreeBSD (Jumpstart basically) so I need a
> consistent way of extracting it, preserving the most properties of the
> iso files content. So, could anyone advice me a proper way of doing what
> I was doing before, with the new iso files?.

Using tar to extract the contents of a .iso should work.  You might end
up with oddities to do with file ownership and permissions, but you
should be able to fix that by suitable application of mtree(1).

Alternatively you can grab the actual installation images from the
install media -- that's any of the .txz files under /usr/freebsd-dist
for 9.0.  These are actually rather easier to use than the equivalents
under 8.x or earlier: you get about 5 .txz files, not all of which are
necessary to boot the new system.  For a minimal install on a 64bit
platform you'ld need base.txz, lib32.txz and kernel.txz.  Just untar
those in the root directory of the system you're building (preserving
permissions and ownership) and you should be good to go. [Assuming
you've already done all the partitioning and creating filesystems and
installing boot-blocks stuff required, of course.]

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3