newsyslog-local.conf

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Feb 20 17:48:00 UTC 2012

On 20/02/2012 17:29, alexus wrote:
> /var/log/squid/access.log <7J>: --> will trim at Tue Feb 21 00:00:00 2012
> /var/log/squid/cache.log <7J>: --> will trim at Tue Feb 21 00:00:00 2012

OK -- this looks fine.  It should cycle the log files overnight.

Presumably you first setup the cycling of the squid logfiles yesterday
and your post was prompted by the logs not being recycled last night?
(Yes, that's insultingly obvious, but worth eliminating as a possibility.)

> Signal all daemon process(es)...
> 	sleep 10
> s#
>
> one thing that I noticed:
> newsyslog: pid file doesn't exist: /var/run/syslog.pid
>
> s# grep ^syslogd /etc/rc.conf
> syslogd_enable="NO"
> s#
>
> does syslogd has be run for newsyslog to operate?

No, syslogd doesn't /need/ to be running, but newsyslog assumes that a
logfile is generated by syslogd unless configured otherwise -- ie. to
signal the pid of a different process.  You'll get errors like you've
seen if syslogd isn't running, but they should be innocuous.

Mind you, not running syslogd is a pretty unusual management decision;
I'd turn it on if I were you, as it's the first recourse whenever
anything goes wrong.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3