libxul-1.9.2.27

n dhert ndhertbsd at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 13:40:41 UTC 2012

During a ports upgrade, I had an upgrade from libxul also.
this took quite a long time to build and used lots of CPU power and made
response time slow ...

just for curiosity, I checked
# pkg_info | grep libxul
libxul-1.9.2.27     Mozilla runtime package that can be used to bootstrap
XUL+X
# pkg_info -R libxul-1.9.2.27
Information for libxul-1.9.2.27:

(that is: nothing depends on it)

I can't exactly remember how it got installed, but I was I think with
(from /usr/ports/UPDATING)
20090917:
  AFFECTS: users of www/epiphany, x11/yelp, graphics/librsvg2,
           x11/toolkits/py-gnome-extras, and www/epiphany-extensions
  AUTHOR: gnome at FreeBSD.org
  The default Gecko provider has been changed from www/firefox to
  www/libxul.  Firefox 2.x is now marked FORBIDDEN for security reasons,
  and libxul is new, stable, and preferred Gecko provider.  Libxul uses
  the same Gecko engine as Firefox 3.0.x.

  Some ports may fail to upgrade or run when both www/firefox and libxul
  are installed on the same system.  To make sure everything runs smoothly,
  uninstall www/firefox, then install libxul, then upgrade the affected
  ports.
I have librsvg2
# pkg_info | grep librsvg2
librsvg2-2.34.1     Library for parsing and rendering SVG vector-graphic
files

But it does not use libxul (any more?)
# pkg_info -r librsvg2-2.34.1 | grep xul
(nothing)

Can I safely do a
# pkg_delete libxul-1.9.2.27
??