DNS - slaving the root zone

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Sun Feb 19 22:52:42 UTC 2012

On 02/19/2012 10:39, Terrence Koeman wrote:

> I'm just done converting from named.root to slaving the root, I
> checked which servers allow axfr (at least for me...) and added them
> all as masters.

Given that some of the root server operators don't really like people
doing this routinely it would be net.friendlier to list the ICANN
servers first. They are just as up to date as the live root servers.

> Multiple masters would substantially decrease the
> risk of stale zones, yes?

Yes.

> Also, I was wondering, now that I slave . and arpa, is it still
> beneficial to retain the 'empty zones' that fall within those or are
> they redundant?

They are not redundant, and yes, they are still beneficial.

Doug

--

	It's always a long day; 86400 doesn't fit into a short.