No updates needed to update system to 8.2-RELEASE-p6 but still on 8.2-RELEASE-p3

Nikola Pavlović nzp at riseup.net
Sun Feb 19 20:43:44 UTC 2012

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 06:00:50PM +0000, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 19/02/2012 17:49, Nikola Pavlović wrote:
> > If it will feel you more confident that everything is OK, I too have -p3
> > reported from the kernel, but -p6 in newvers.sh.  I remember a
> > discussion shortly after FreeBSD-SA-11:05-unix (maybe on
> > freebsd-security@ but I'm not sure) about this confusion with patch
> > level reported and if I remember correctly the conclusion was in
> > agreement with what Matthew wrote above.
>
> Um... it's not really surprising that the two posts are in agreement.  I
> certainly read that other thread, and I may even have written that other
> post you mention...

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I did not intend to question your answer
(which, as usual, was thorough and most helpful) in any way, but only to
point out, because Antonio expressed some doubt, that it isn't mere
speculation and that the issue is known, and that he isn't the only one with
"strange" -pX reported by uname (i.e. he can be confident that his system is
up to date, as far as this is concerned).  I don't remember who wrote what
(and laziness prevents me from searching the archives), only that people who
never use Linux emulation need not apply the follow up patch in which case
-p3 is correct.

--
About the only thing we have left that actually
discriminates in favor of the plain people is the stork.