One or Four?

Stephen Cook sclists at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 07:51:41 UTC 2012

On 2/18/2012 8:03 PM, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> On Sunday 19 February 2012 04:34:17 Jerry McAllister wrote:
>> On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 12:07:30PM +0100, Damien Fleuriot wrote:
>> So, Polytropon's three choice pattern is good.   Or, I could even
>> suggest just two choices.
> A normal user will use the first option here and get screwed when the file system got affected by a power failure. The second option is not an option for a general user.
>> But, that middle choice that Polytropon suggested is OK to include
>> if you think it is needed.  /, /tmp, /usr, /var, [/home] +swap
> Yes, I strong urge you to leave this at least as an option. Just with a larger / slice of 1 or better 2GB.
>> I don't see that this plan adds any significant complication or confusion.
>> Nor does it prevent any of the schemes people have been advocating or
>> requesting.
> You seem to forget normal users who just want to use the system. They do not think of recovery until it actually happens.

I don't know if I count as a *normal* user but here's my two cents:

Some of you think it isn't a good idea to put everything on one
partition. I'm not yet ready to manually set them up. Every time I get
into it I read tens of articles and blogs and they all boil down to "it
depends".

So some middle-ground "this guy is willing to learn but can't set it up
optimally, and doesn't want a bad config because he is still somewhat
confused" option should be available, and possibly labeled as such.

-- Stephen